Hot Quail With Black Pepper Ranch
A spicy tasty treat that adds a little fire to your Manchester Farms quail.
Write a review
- 1 tbsp. plus 1½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. kosher salt, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. Tabasco
- ¼ cup dill-pickle juice
- 4 semi-boneless quail, quartered
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1½ tsp. onion powder
- Canola oil, for frying
- Nashville-Style Hot Sauce (recipe follows)
- 8 slices white bread
- ½ cup Black Pepper Ranch, plus extra for dipping (recipe follows)
- Sliced dill pickles, for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon pepper, 2 table-spoons salt, eggs, buttermilk, Tabasco, and pickle juice. Add quail pieces, and marinate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, 1½ teaspoons pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and remaining salt. Set aside.
- When ready to fry, heat 2 inches of oil in a cast-iron skillet to 350°F. Remove quail pieces from marinade. Dredge legs in seasoned flour, return to marinade, coat once more with seasoned flour, and then fry pieces about 5 minutes. Repeat with breasts, cooking to medium-rare, about 3 minutes. Remove quail from pan, blot with paper towels, and add to a bowl of Nashville-Style Hot Sauce to coat generously.
- On a large platter, arrange slices of white bread and top with fried and sauced quail. Drizzle Black Pepper Ranch over entire dish and garnish with sliced dill pickles.
Manchester Farms Quail https://manchesterfarms.com/